BAE Systems challenge: Dynamic workflow management
Using AI techniques and the systems dynamic software SCALE+, this challenge seeks to develop a manufacturing scheduling and workflow management capability that can dynamically react to disruptions and changes. The solution should aid future planning across the supply chain through automatic updates to different variables including supply chain disruptions, resource availability and production status, optimised real-time scheduling and replanning. The solution can leverage or build on supply chain connectivity and industrial internet of things (IIoT), and the exploitation of data.
You can read more about BAE Systems and the two challenges here.
About DIEM Innovations
DIEM Innovations develops AI to help people make better decisions. DIEM Innovations was spun out of DIEM Analytics in 2020 to realise the full potential of DIEM ideas, with a focus on scaling and productising DIEM’s technologies.
Using AI techniques and SCALE+, a systems dynamic software, this solution will provide logistics experts with actionable insights into its supply chains, without needing to be simulation experts. SCALE+ will show current network performance and bottlenecks, model different scenarios and costs, predict the likelihood of specific outcomes – including early or late delivery of parts and supplies – and determine what is driving that prediction. As an integrated system, the solution provides an understanding of how targeted measures can be applied to improve supply chain performance. It has the capacity to identify where wastage occurs to improve the sustainability of supply chains. Supply chain resilience is also strengthened, as issues will be predicted to minimise their impact, while best practice will be identified and rolled out elsewhere in the system.
For industry, the solution will:
- Provide cost savings: The integrated system will provide an understanding of how targeted measures can be applied to improve supply chain performance
- Increase sustainability: Identifying where wastage occurs to better prevent it
- Improve supply chain resilience and outcomes: Issues will be predicted to minimise their impact, while best practice will be identified and rolled out elsewhere in the system. Resilience will be targeted using an analysis of bottlenecks and suppliers/transportation inefficiencies
- Improve planning: By modelling the effect of new technologies and specific interventions, return on investment can be more accurately calculated to inform planning decisions
What the Made Smarter Technology Accelerator means to DIEM Innovations
“We’re excited to continue working with our partners at BAE Systems on the complex logistical challenge of understanding and improving the supply chain, particularly at a time when global supply networks have been put under immense strain. Building resilience, improving sustainability and offering tangible cost savings are key objectives of this project and we’re pleased to be doing this through the Made Smarter Technology Accelerator programme.” Alexander Howard, Managing Director, DIEM Innovations
- DASA funding for DUCHESS, our intelligent interviewbot
On 23 June 2021, the programme proudly presented the first phase insights and learnings for industry in an online event. Watch the CAE Tech pitch here: